Light painting artist Bruno Mesrine has been creating his light painting photographs since 1990. His first light painting image was “Portrait of the Moon”, an image in which Bruno used the light from the moon to create a face in the sky. His light painting work spans decades and covers a diverse group of subject matters. Bruno has created fantastic light painting photographs of everything from the human form to text light graffiti on the streets of Paris. He is a soloist and creates the majority of his own light writing instrument. Brunos is a well-rounded artist, he also creates oil paintings and iron sculptures. Bruno is a completely self taught artist and light paints to express his empathy to the world. View some of his images below, read Bruno’s full light painting photography interview, and check out his Facebook profile where he shares some of his latest images here.
Light Painting Photography interview with Bruno Mesrine
1. What is your name?
2. Do you have an alias that you go by?
3. Are you a soloist or are you part of a Light Painting group? If a group who is in your group?
I am a solist
4. What education do you have?
5. What is your occupation?
Plasticien :photography, painter, sculpture
6. How long have you been a photographer?
7. How long have you been light painting?
8. How did you discover Light Painting Photography?
9. What was your first Light Painting Image?
A line of spark crossing the image, along a beach in Nice.
10. Film or Digital?
11. Do you believe in aliens?
12. What is your standard Light Painting Photography setup?
No standard, I create my instruments following the needs of the image.
13. What is your favorite color?
14. Who influences your Light Painting Photography work?
15. Who is your favorite Light Painting Artist?
16. What is your favorite food?
17. Do you create in any other mediums other than light painting? If so what are they?
Oil paint(painting), drawings, sculpture iron and image.
18. What is your favorite Light Painting Photography image that you have created?
” Portrait of the Moon ”
The moon as a brush of light, it is the movement of the device in pose(installation), that creates the lines(features). By stacking the views(sights)
According to the construction of the image on the same argentic negative.
19. What is your favorite Light Painting Photography image of another artist?
20. What is the most difficult part of Light Painting Photography?
21. How do you get you Light Painting Photography work seen?
22. Do you sell your Light Painting Photography work?
My photographic work is for sale
23. Are you represented by a gallery?
24. Where can we see more of your work?
25. What is your favorite quote?
The sense creates the shape
26. Who is your favorite artist?
27. What is you favorite activity other than light painting?
Think and oil paint
28. Tell me a good light painting story.
A drawing in my pocket, I left walk in Paris in search of ancient memorial symbol there which I mixed, seen by view(sight), methodically on an argentic negative.
29. Tell me a nightmare light painting story.
In the daytime or I have photography a wave in Nice where I received in full face, that very evening by overprint, I added a garland of light on the same image.
Every image is a technical story and emotional.
30. Have you ever been arrested or ticketed for light painting?
Once in Zurich, I drew an eye between two streetcars.
31. What do you say to people when they see you light painting and they ask “what the hell are you doing”?
When I work, I am in trance and support nobody interventions outside, me has to manage with exactness all the photographic parameters to leave the biggest place(square) in it creation.
32. Where do you find inspiration for your Light Painting Photography?
I read with passion the philosophers (Jung, Nietzsche, Cioran, etc.) and deepen(fathom) my experiences(experiments) on the human consciousness in search of an idea to develop with a writing of light universal.
33. Who would you like to punch?
A philosophic punch.
34. Who would you like to kiss?
The sky and the moon
35. Why do you Light Paint?
To express my empathy to the world.
36. What is your favorite time to shoot?
37. What is your favorite subject to shoot?
38. Where is your favorite place to shoot?
In front of the objective.
39. If you could travel anywhere to Light Paint where would you go?
It is my biggest dream.
40. Have you ever invented a Light Painting Photography tool? If so what was it and how did it work?
I built my brushes of light: a battery(drum kit), a switch and a bulb, the most adapted to my photographic needs.
41. Do you ever get sick of explaining your work to people?
It is simple: the film is photosensitive.
The rest, it is of the photographic technique to transcend.
42. How many times have you heard the work photoshop when someone was describing or asking about your work?
43. What makes you happy?
44. What makes you mad?
45. What part of Light Painting Photography do you enjoy the most?
I am in front of the objective, in assertion of human symbolism.
Projection unconscious and aware(conscious) of all my being.
My rays of light:
aggravated Ethics. Sublimated solitude. Sense proclaimed in the space of my nights.
46. What part of Light Painting Photography do you hate the most?
I like the worst and the best, I transcend him(it).
47. Do you have a website? If yes what is the address?
48. What is Light Painting Photography?
It is to paint with the sun.
My freedom of expression is aggravated.
The idea is transformed into light.
49. Give me some advice for anyone that might like to try Light Painting Photography.
Build his(her,its) uniqueness.
The technique will follow…
50. Are you scared of the dark?