Light painting artist Arturo Aguiar has been capturing images since 1999. He was born in San Juan, Argentina in 1963 and studied physics at the University of Buenos Aires. Arturo’s shoots on film and his favorite light painting artist is Dean Chambelain. Touches of Dean’s influence can be seen throughout the beautiful images in Arturo’s body of work. He works alone and says this of his light painting work, “The use of light and color has an artistic, conceptual meaning. Without light and shadow, nothing can be determined. The contrasts between the sudden flashes and darkness accentuate the mystery of mankind, emphasizing our beauty and at times, our own darkness.” Arturo’s first solo show was held in 2000 and over the past decade his work has been shown in Argentina, France, Spain, Portugal, Mexico, the United States, Costa Rica, Colombia, Belgium and Germany. View some of Arturo’s images below, read his full light painting photography interview, and for even more images and information check out his website www.arturoaguiar.com.
Light Painting Photography interview with Arturo Aguiar.
1. What is your name?
2. Do you have an alias that you go by?
3. Are you a soloist or are you part of a Light Painting group? If a group who is in your group?
I work alone in all my projects.
4. What education do you have?
Autodidact artist and photographer. Academic background in Physical Sciences.
5. What is your occupation?
Artist and Professor of Mathematics at the University of Buenos Aires.
6. How long have you been a photographer?
7. How long have you been light painting?
8. How did you discover Light Painting Photography?
It was my own idea, then I discover that light painting it’s actually used by others artists.
9. What was your first Light Painting Image?
10. Film or Digital?
11. Do you believe in aliens?
Yes and no, or no and yes.
12. What is your standard Light Painting Photography setup?
A tripod, a camera and flashlights.
13. What is your favorite color?
14. Who influences your Light Painting Photography work?
Many painters and art critics.
15. Who is your favorite Light Painting Artist?
16. What is your favorite food?
17. Do you create in any other mediums other than light painting? If so what are they?
18. What is your favorite Light Painting Photography image that you have created?
Kitchen with Aloe, 2007
19. What is your favorite Light Painting Photography image of another artist?
Ann & Erica by Chamberlain.
20. What is the most difficult part of Light Painting Photography?
21. How do you get you Light Painting Photography work seen?
With large format photographs.
22. Do you sell your Light Painting Photography work?
Of course, I’m an artist.
23. Are you represented by a gallery?
24. Where can we see more of your work?
HYPERLINK “http://www.arturoaguiar.com” www.arturoaguiar.com, Praxis International Art – Buenos Aires, Argentina; Galeria Elsi del Rìo – Buenos Aires, Argentina; Galeria Sicart – Barcellona, Spain; Jacob Karpio Gallery – San Jose, Costa Rica.
25. What is your favorite quote?
“Nothing can be known without the lights and shadows” Leonardo Da Vinci.
26. Who is your favorite artist?
27. What is you favorite activity other than light painting?
Listen to music.
28. Tell me a good light painting story.
Painting with light makes me happy.
29. Tell me a nightmare light painting story.
I took pictures in an abandoned cemetery with the technique of Light Painting and did not leave any pictures I made in the cemetery and the camera stopped working for three days. Was it a curse?
30. Have you ever been arrested or ticketed for light painting?
31. What do you say to people when they see you light painting and they ask “what the hell are you doing”?
Never happened to me.
32. Where do you find inspiration for your Light Painting Photography?
In arts and in everyday life.
33. Who would you like to punch?
34. Who would you like to kiss?
35. Why do you Light Paint?
Because of the pictorial gesture of lighting by hand.
36. What is your favorite time to shoot?
37. What is your favorite subject to shoot?
All, if I like what I see.
38. Where is your favorite place to shoot?
In the dark.
39. If you could travel anywhere to Light Paint where would you go?
40. Have you ever invented a Light Painting Photography tool? If so what was it and how did it work?
Every day I invent something.
41. Do you ever get sick of explaining your work to people?
42. How many times have you heard the work photoshop when someone was describing or asking about your work?
43. What makes you happy?
44. What makes you mad?
45. What part of Light Painting Photography do you enjoy the most?
Painting with light.
46. What part of Light Painting Photography do you hate the most?
When I do not like the result of my work.
47. Do you have a website? If yes what is the address?
48. What is Light Painting Photography?
One way of making art.
49. Give me some advice for anyone that might like to try Light Painting Photography.
50. Are you scared of the dark?